Pedestrian accidents are some of the worst accidents that a person can suffer, often leaving them in chronic pain and financial distress. At the Law Office of Brian P. Azemika, we have one goal: obtain fair and full compensation for our personal injury clients. Unfortunately, many motorists deny they are to blame for a crash, and some criminal drivers flee the scene rather than help injured victims.
We want all injured victims to know that legal help is available. We can meet to discuss the best path for receiving compensation following a Sacramento pedestrian accident.
Pedestrian Accidents Cause Devastating Injuries
Some of the more serious injuries a pedestrian can suffer when struck by a car are:
- Friction burns. A pedestrian could be tossed down the road, where exposed skin scrapes along the asphalt. Friction burns are also called “road rash,” which might require skin grafts and often leaves permanent scars.
- Fractures. Any bone can break in a car accident, including the ribs, pelvis, thigh bone, and neck. If the pedestrian slams their head on the ground, they could fracture their skull.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Trauma to the head can cause various impairments involving memory, personality, sleep, and coordination.
- Back injuries. A pedestrian can fracture vertebrae, pull muscles, or rupture a disc.
- Spinal cord injuries. Any nick or stretching of the cord can result in partial or full paralysis. Even bruising of the cord can cause impaired sensation and make a return to life difficult.
After a crash, try to get medical attention immediately. Some injuries only worsen with time.
Pedestrian Accidents & Driver Negligence
Most pedestrians are struck because a driver failed to drive their vehicle safely. These drivers make mistakes behind the wheel, break the law, or else are simply too careless or reckless.
In our experience, many drivers crash into pedestrians because of:
- Drug or alcohol use
- Cell phone use
- Failure to brake in time
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Illegal turns
To receive compensation, your Sacramento pedestrian accident attorney must show that the driver failed to be careful and therefore caused the collision. We can rely on witness testimony, physical evidence (like skid marks), and dashcam footage to prove what happened.
Compensation for Your Injuries
Most claims involve negotiating with the driver’s insurance company to allocate fault and come up with a fair settlement amount. As your legal representatives, we will drive a hard bargain to secure damages for:
- All past, present, and future medical expenses. The at-fault driver should pay for surgery, doctor visits, physical therapy, prescription drugs, and wheelchair or crutches. Serious injuries often require ongoing medical care.
- Lost income, including future income. When an accident impairs your ability to work, victims lose out on necessary income. A permanent injury might also require that you take a new job or quit working completely.
- Pain and suffering. Pedestrian accident victims suffer a dramatic reduction in their quality of life and can struggle with depression, disfiguring scars, sleep disorders, irritability, and pain.
Meet with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Sacramento to review possible compensation. If a loved one was killed in a pedestrian crash, surviving family members might also have a wrongful death claim which we can discuss.
Hit and Run Accidents
Unfortunately, some motorists do not stop after striking a pedestrian even though the law requires it. There are many reasons why drivers flee. Some might lack required insurance and fear losing personal assets in a lawsuit. Others were drinking alcohol and probably feared a possible drunk driving arrest. Still, others might have been so intoxicated they didn’t even know they hit someone.
Whatever their reasons, reckless drivers leave injured victims in a lurch. Pedestrian accidents cause serious injuries requiring considerable medical care. Many pedestrians lack the funds or insurance to cover the cost of surgery, outpatient services, and rehabilitation.
Fortunately, California requires that motorists carry uninsured motorist coverage insurance. This policy kicks in if you are hit by a driver who is uninsured or who flees the scene of a crash. For this reason, you should receive something to cover medical bills and other losses, even if the driver is never found. But you might need to haggle with the insurer to get a claim paid.
Contact Us After A Pedestrian Accident in Sacramento
The Law Office of Brian P. Azemika stands ready to help any pedestrian injured in a collision in Sacramento. We have negotiated with many insurers and understand how to hold out for the maximum compensation available. Please call our firm today to schedule a day and time to meet. Our initial consultations are free.
Brian Azemika fought for me when others thought my case was a lost cause. Brian Azemika took over my case with only a few weeks to prepare prior to trial. His knowledge and expertise showed in how he prepared me for my testimony at trial. He also had a great presence in the courtroom and really connected with the jury during the entire trial. He did such a great job in the eyes of the jury that many of them approached him after the trial and asked him for his business card. Thanks to Mr. Azemika, the jury returned a verdict for $400,000.00, which was amazing since the settlement offer from the insurance company was for only $45,000.00 on the first day of trial. I am so glad that Brian Azemika was my trial attorney.