Schedule Your Free Consultation With a Top-Rated Roseville Dog Bite Lawyer
Injuries caused by dog bites vary widely, from a minor scratch on the arm to vicious, life-threatening wounds. In fact, hundreds of thousands of people head to the emergency room each year to receive treatment for dog bites. All dog bite injuries require immediate medical attention. Any puncture wound from a dog’s mouth carries a significant infection risk.
If you or someone you care about has been attacked, contact the Law Office of Brian P. Azemika today. Our clients deserve maximum compensation for their losses, and dog owners must be held accountable. Call our Roseville law office today for a free, no-obligation initial consultation.
“Following a dog bite incident, it is important to identify the owner of the dog and report the incident to animal control in case the dog is dangerous and can possibly cause harm to others.”
– Brian P. Azemika, Roseville Dog Bite Attorney
What to Do If You or Your Loved One is Bitten By a Dog in Roseville, CA
Dealing with the aftermath of a dog attack can be stressful, even overwhelming. An experienced Roseville dog bite lawyer can help you know what to do and receive the compensation you deserve.
Here are four key steps to take after a dog bite incident in Roseville, California:
- Seek Immediate Medical Care: If a dog bite punctures the skin, it is a serious medical concern. Even seemingly minor dog bites carry an infection risk. Notably, you need medical records to claim compensation for a dog bite injury in California.
- Document the Dog Bite Incident: While a dog owner can be held strictly liable if their pet bites an innocent person, documentation of the injury is still essential. Be sure to collect information about the incident, including the dog’s description, owner’s information, and any witness contact details.
- Notify the Dog Owner: If the owner is uncooperative or the dog is a stray, report the incident to local animal control or the police department. They can help locate the dog and ensure it is up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Consult with a Lawyer: Contact a Roseville personal injury lawyer who has experience with dog injury cases as soon as possible after an attack. Your attorney can help you determine the best path to justice and financial compensation.
Is the Dog’s Owner Liable for a Dog Bite Attack?
California is a strict liability state when it comes to bite injuries. Unlike other states, California dog owners can be legally responsible for the financial compensation of the victim even if the dog has no history of being aggressive.
California Law Section 3342 states that the owner is liable for damages suffered by a person bitten in public or while lawfully on private property, including the dog’s residence. A person is lawfully on the owner’s property when they are performing a government job, such as hooking up utilities, or when invited onto the property by the owner.
The law has some limitations, however. You need to look at the general law of negligence to see if the owner used reasonable care to restrain their canine. The statute will also not cover someone who provoked a dog.
A Note on Negligence Claims: You can always pursue a common law negligence claim against a dog owner in addition to a strict liability claim. This could be the right approach for a dog bite case in Roseville, as full compensation may be recoverable through a common law negligence claim. A Roseville dog bite lawyer can help you determine the best course of action.
Who Else Might Be Liable for an Injury Caused by a Dog?
Most dog bite cases are pursued against the dog’s owner, often through their property insurance company. That being said, other parties may bear liability for injuries. In some cases, the pet is in the possession and control of another person, like a family member. Another example could be if a dangerous dog was stored in a kennel and the kennel failed to contain it or let it off its leash, then anyone injured by the animal could sue them.
The same is true of landlords. For example, a backyard fence could be falling apart, which allows the canine to wander the neighborhood and bite people. Alternatively, an apartment complex may fail to take adequate steps to address a dog off its leash known to be aggressive, failing to prevent dog attacks on its premises.
What is Fair Compensation for a Dog Bite Claim?
A settlement should provide money to cover the cost of your medical care and replace any income lost if you couldn’t work while recovering. Dog attacks also cause considerable pain and suffering, especially medical expenses. Most dog attack settlement claims are brought against the responsible party’s home or rental insurance policy.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, the average settlement in 2020 was $50,425. However, this amount is only an average, so it is a good starting point for thinking about your own settlement. An experienced Roseville dog bite lawyer will evaluate punitive damages and determine a good settlement.
If a loved one was injured so badly that they died, consider filing a wrongful death claim. Similar to a regular personal injury claim, it compensates surviving family members who lost a loved one in an accident.
Dog Bites Require Immediate Treatment
A canine attack can cause serious injury. Even if you think the dog only nicked or scratched you, we encourage you to take the bite seriously and seek medical attention immediately.
Common Injuries Caused by Dog Bites
- Lacerations, cuts, or puncture wounds. A dog that sinks its teeth into you can leave dozens of punctures and tear the skin. These injuries, when severe, can require plastic surgery.
- Soft-tissue injuries. A dog’s powerful jaws can shred, tear, and stretch muscles, ligaments, and tendons, causing immense physical pain.
- Nerve damage. The canine’s teeth can injure any part of a nerve, sometimes permanently.
- Fractures. Some breeds are powerful enough to crack or crush bones in their jaws. You will need the bone set so it can heal properly.
- Infection. A canine can have countless germs in its mouth, which can be transferred into your bloodstream when bitten. Watch your wounds carefully—any wound that is red or oozing pus could be infected.
- Rabies. This is a deadly condition, but a doctor can give you rabies shots to prevent serious complications.
Stop any bleeding and go to the hospital, where a doctor can assess the injury. Minor dog bites often require stitches, antibiotics, and painkillers.
Individuals that Face the Highest Risk from Dogs
Aggressive dogs are risky. Any large domestic animal can pose a very serious health and safety hazard if the proper precautions are not taken by its owner and other parties. That being said, not everyone faces the same risks.
Children are especially vulnerable to dog bites due to their small size and inability to interpret animal behavior. Also, children may provoke them by invading their space, pulling their tail, or making sudden movements.
This can lead to a severe or even fatal accident. The injuries sustained often affect the face, neck, and head, resulting in significant trauma, requiring extensive medical attention, and possibly causing lasting emotional scars.
Senior citizens also face heightened risks from dangerous dogs. These personal injury cases should be taken seriously, and hiring a Roseville dog bite attorney will ensure your rights are protected and that you receive maximum compensation for your personal injury claim and harm caused by making sure the party at fault is held responsible.
Why Trust Roseville Dog Bite Attorney Brian P. Azemika
Dog bite injury claims are especially complicated and time-consuming. It is normal to have a lot of questions about your rights as an injured victim. Brian P. Azemika is a top-rated dog bite lawyer with a proven record of success for his clients.
When you speak with our Roseville law office, you will have the opportunity to work with a California dog bite attorney who can:
- Hear your story and answer questions about dog bite liability in California;
- Investigate the bite injury—gathering evidence to prove fault for the accident;
- Represent in all aspects the personal injury claims process, including insurance negotiations; and
- Develop a personalized strategy to help you and your family seek compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and your pain and suffering.
Reach Out to a Roseville Dog Bite Injury Lawyer Today to Learn More
Insurance claims require extensive documentation, but good legal representation can ease the process considerably, relieving you of your mental anguish and emotional distress and helping you to fully recover lost income and get a positive outcome. Speak to the Law Office of Brian P. Azemika today to schedule a free consultation.
If you or your loved one were a victim who was bitten by someone else’s dog, we are here to help. From our Roseville law firm, we handle dog bite claims, car accident cases, and other personal injury claims for clients in Placer County and throughout the wider region of Northern California.
2270 Douglas Blvd, Suite 218
Roseville, CA 95661
Brian Azemika fought for me when others thought my case was a lost cause. Brian Azemika took over my case with only a few weeks to prepare prior to trial. His knowledge and expertise showed in how he prepared me for my testimony at trial. He also had a great presence in the courtroom and really connected with the jury during the entire trial. He did such a great job in the eyes of the jury that many of them approached him after the trial and asked him for his business card. Thanks to Mr. Azemika, the jury returned a verdict for $400,000.00, which was amazing since the settlement offer from the insurance company was for only $45,000.00 on the first day of trial. I am so glad that Brian Azemika was my trial attorney.