Many people may not realize it, but the value of their personal injury claim is likely greater than the insurance company wants you to know. If you have ever been in a car accident or the victim of an accident, then you know that a claims adjuster is sent in by the insurance company to deal with your claim. They work for the insurance company and not for you. Their job is to ensure that the insurance company saves money. That’s why they will never tell you what the claim is really worth. So, the best thing you can do is to hire a professional personal injury lawyer to represent your interests. 9 out of 10 times a personal injury lawyer will end up getting you a settlement that’s more than 3x times what the insurance company is offering. That’s why we don’t advise that you settle with the insurance company on your own.
Let’s face it, insurance companies are a business, and like all businesses, they are here to make money. One reason why these already massive companies continue to become even larger is that they maximize profits. The easiest way to maximize profits is to pay out less money when there is a personal injury claim. That’s why they scramble to settle claims for as little money as they can.
What Do the Figures Say About Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney?
Back in 2004, a research organization called the Insurance Research Council, funded by the insurance industry did a massive study with the objective of comparing the value of settlements that people received for the same injury both without and with an attorney. The research concluded that people represented by a personal injury lawyer received over three times more money even after deduction of the attorney’s fees!
Now, as more victims get this information, there are a growing number of people who are turning to personal injury lawyers to handle their cases. Yet another study conducted by the IRC found that from 2007-2012, the percentages of car accident injury claimants who were represented by a personal injury lawyer rose steadily by 5% percent.
Another report by the IRC named “Auto Injuries: Claiming Behavior and Its Impact on Insurance Costs,” concluded that 85% percent of all money paid out as compensation by insurance companies for injuries has gone to clients who hired an attorney. If anything, the figures make a substantial case in favor of hiring a personal injury lawyer.
What Can A Personal Injury Attorney Do For You?
Well, a personal injury attorney can do many things for a client. The type of services that attorneys provide are as follows:
- They become responsible for filing a claim with the insurance provider and later a lawsuit on behalf of the victim if required.
- The attorney will negotiate the settlement with the driver of the car or with their insurance company.
- The attorney will also help clients get the medical treatment they need, which includes going to a specific doctor, visiting a chiropractor, or even the required clinical referrals required to recover from your injuries.
- The attorney will negotiate specific medical liens you may have that require you to pay out of your settlement. The attorney will ensure you follow all the rules for reimbursement and not be left open to owing money to your private health care providers or government based healthcare like Medicare and Medi-Cal after you have settled your case and received your money.
- More importantly, an attorney will make sure to look for all sources of recovery in an accident and make sure you get the maximum settlement possible for your injury claim.
A few other reasons to hire a personal injury attorney include:
- The insurance company may outright deny your claim for compensation. In this case, the best thing you can do is hire an attorney.
- The driver at fault does not have automotive insurance or any applicable insurance policy.
- The insurance company is attempting to delay the settlement process.
- The victim is not satisfied with the offer made by the insurance company.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Knows How to Deal with Intimidation
Many insurance companies employ intimidation tactics to scare victims into accepting their offer. Some of the tactics they use but certainly isn’t limited to:
- Blaming the victim for the accident.
- Saying that the victim will find it near impossible to prove in court the long-term emotional and physical trauma associated with the accident.
- Asserting that the doctor’s assessment of the case or injuries isn’t good enough and that you need to get yourself medically examined by an approved professional.
Insurance companies are known to use every tool in their tool box to pressure you into becoming so desperate that you’ll accept anything to pay the bills or to pay for rent. Many victims are pressured to the point where they end up with less and decide to move on with life.
When you have a reputation, it makes a big difference when it comes to dealing with insurance companies and their claims. Personal injury victims who use a reputable law firm, have a much better chance of getting the money that they deserve, because an experienced attorney knows how to deal with the insurance company, and he will not be intimidated by their tactics.
Conclusion – Always Hire an Attorney
Hiring a personal injury attorney with experience does not cost you anything. Lawyers work on what’s called a contingency basis. What that means is they only get paid a percentage of the settlement or judgment. The attorney gets nothing if you get nothing and you pay nothing up front for the attorney representation. That is why there is no reason why you should not hire the best possible attorney who will ensure the highest payout, especially if the injury is extremely severe. Not to mention that with an attorney handling the case you can rest and recover while a professional handles everything on your behalf. Let an attorney take on the stress of dealing with the insurance company. CALL US NOW FOR A FREE CONSULTATION 916-245-5059 or request through our website.
Brian P. Azemika, Esq.
Law Office of Brian P. Azemika
Personal Injury Attorney Brian Azemika represents injury victims involved in car/auto accidents, trucking accidents, Uber/Lyft accidents, motorcycle accidents, dog bites, animal attacks, premise liability cases & slip, trip and fall accidents.
Call for a free consultation.